Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Celebrating the first day of school, the alphabet and simple commands

We had a wonderful first day of class and I was impressed with how quickly all the children picked up what we were doing.

We started out by practicing simple commands and students figured out what I was asking them to do by watching and mimicking me. We also practiced basic introductions ("What is your name?" and "My name is . . . ")  I was very impressed with how quickly the children figured out what I was asking for and how willing they were to try, even when they weren't quite sure. I was also very impressed with how well they were able to pronounce the German "ch." It is typically a very difficult sound for Americans to produce. Now I have one whole mini lesson I may not have to do because I suspect they'll have the sound mastered before we get to it!

We introduced the alphabet. Whether or not your child is able to memorize the German alphabet this semester depends largely on how well they have mastered the English alphabet and how much opportunity they have to practice at home. I sent home a sheet with each child that gives an approximate English guide to pronouncing the letters. This is the song that we are using to learn the alphabet. If you are able to listen to it even once a day, it will help your child remember what we are working on.

"Wunderbar!" means "Wonderful!"
"Das ist nett!" means "That is nice!"



We won't be singing it as a round, though!

We finished off the half hour by learning about the "Schultuete," which is part of how German families build excitement about the first day of school. Your child should have the start of a lapbook on German culture that includes a picture of a Schultuete and a little information. Here is more about this custom if you are interested.


No comments:

Post a Comment